A recently released whitepaper, prepared by the National Security Forum (NSF) of Northern Nevada, explores the national security implications of advanced energy generation and distribution in the state of Nevada. The paper presents key findings related to Nevada’s role in providing safe, secure and resilient energy technologies and supplies to residents of the state and the nation.
Key findings include:
- The Department of Defense (DoD) has invested substantial resources in renewable energy generation and distribution technologies in response to the national security imperative to improve the safety, security, and reliability of domestic and overseas operations.
- Large utility-scale solar arrays installed by DoD at Nellis Air Force Base enhance our national security and provide local communities with reliable, renewable energy.
- Nevada has the most solar energy potential of any state in the nation and is rich in other renewable energy sources including geothermal, hydroelectric, and wind. Tapping into this potential could bring economic and energy security benefits to the state.
- By capitalizing on distributed solar, geothermal, biomass, wind and hydropower projects, Nevada has the potential to support substantial growth in advanced energy, potentially producing up to 70-80% of the electricity needs for the state (up from 20-25% today).
- Increasing Nevada’s Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) would create more reliable and resilient energy generation and distribution in the state and could provide incentives for more advanced energy companies to establish or expand operations in Nevada.
- Rooftop solar projects are expanding in the state following the passage of AB 405 in 2017, creating over 6,000 jobs and generating over 80-megawatts of power.
- Nevada’s national security culture, academic research, development and training programs, and business environment position it to be a leader in the nation for advanced energy generation and distribution.
Read the full study.
About the National Security Forum of Northern Nevada (NSF)
NSF serves as a venue for thoughtful consideration of international, politico-military, and geo-economic issues. The NSF provides commentary representing diverse viewpoints and convenes periodic meetings to bring together experts representing a wide spectrum of opinions to address issues of current importance in a balanced and non-partisan manner.