As a principal at Catalyst Partners, Akmal Ali supports domestic and international clients in working with the federal government and business development, with an emphasis on technology growth. With more than four years’ experience within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s (DHS) Office of SAFETY Act Implementation, Mr. Ali fulfilled the duties and responsibilities of the Deputy Director, providing him extensive experience with public-private partnerships, critical infrastructure resiliency and risk management.
During his time at the Department of Homeland Security, Mr. Ali was integral in both strengthening the office’s private sector relationships and evaluating hundreds of successful SAFETY Act applications involving technologies ranging from biological and chemical detection equipment, venue security, aviation-related technologies and standards-based knowledge product applications.
During his tenure with DHS, Mr. Ali represented the department in numerous speaking engagements before the homeland security industry. Mr. Ali has led collaborative projects with the Department of Energy, the Department of Defense, the DHS Private Sector Office, Transportation Security Administration, the Office of Infrastructure Protection, Customs and Border Protection, Department of Justice, Department of State and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, among others.
Before his time with DHS, Mr. Ali served at the Institute for Defense Analysis, a federally funded research and development center, where he assisted in revamping the economic and insurance modeling process used for determining risk and insurance requirements for SAFETY Act awardees.
Mr. Ali earned a J.D. from Syracuse University College of Law, where he received distinguished honors as a member of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism. He and his wife reside in Arlington, Virginia.
Speaking Engagements & Publications
- “Submitting the High Value Support Anti-Terrorism by Fostering Effective Technology (SAFETY) Act Application,” Panel at American Bar Association’s 10th Annual Homeland Security Law Institute Conference, Washington, DC (August 2015).
- “How to Implement the SAFETY Act at U.S. Ports,” Panel at American Association of Port Authorities’ Port Security Seminar, Arlington, VA (July 2015).
- Supply Chain Security: The Benefits of Managing and Measuring Risk and Liability Reduction, Global Supply Chain Summit 2015, National Security & Emergency Preparedness, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Washington, D.C. (May 2015)
- Airports and the SAFETY Act, Airport Council International – North America 2014 Public Safety & Security Spring Conference, Baltimore, MD (April 2014)
- “The SAFETY Act: Benefits and Impacts in Higher Education,” by Akmal Ali and Florence E. Vasquez, INSIGHTS, University Risk Management and Insurance Association (February 2013)
- The Importance of an Effective Stadium Security Program, Stadium Managers Association Annual Conference, Miami, FL (February 2013)
- “Growing Your Market Share in the Face of Sequestration,” by Akmal Ali, Fiscal Year Informer, Security Industry Association (October 2012)
- “The SAFETY Act: A Powerful Benefit for Stadium Managers,” by Akmal Ali, SMA Quick Hits, Stadium Managers Association (August 2012)
- Port Security: A Look at the Frontline of Security on U.S. Soil, Port Security Seminar, American Association of Port Authorities, Miami, FL (July 19, 2012).
- “Security and Preparedness — The SAFETY Act: A Powerful Benefit for the Water Sector,” by Vance Taylor and Akmal Ali, Journal – American Water Works Association, Vol. 104 Iss. 7 (July 2012).
- DHS & You – How to Grow Your Company’s Footprint in Homeland Security, Counter Terror Expo, Washington, D.C. (May 17, 2012).
- “SAFETY Act: Why You Can’t Afford To Wait,” Forward Magazine, Spring 2012 Edition, Airforwarders Association (March 2012).
- Water Sector Security and Preparedness Standards, American Water Works Association, Washington, D.C. (March 21, 2012).
- “Cybersecurity Exchange: Give Them Liability Protection, and They Will Come,” by David McWhorter, PhD and Akmal Ali, Homeland Security Today (February 27, 2012)
- Airport Roundtable Hot Topics: DHS SAFETY Act and Airports, 13th Annual Risk Management Conference, Airports Council International – North America, New Orleans, LA (January 13, 2012)
- DHS SAFETY Act: Protecting the Hotel Industry, 2011 New Jersey Hotel Security Conference, State of New Jersey Office of Homeland Security & Preparedness, Hamilton, NJ (November 9, 2011)
- DHS SAFETY Act and Doing Business with the U.S. Government, 2011 Finnish Government Tekes Homeland Security Annual Conference, Helsinki, Finland (October 13, 2011)
- Mitigating Risk and Controlling Safety and Security Cost, 2011 National Sports Safety & Security Conference, National Center for Spectator Sports Safety & Security, New Orleans, LA (August 2, 2011).
- DHS SAFETY Act & Technology Deployment, 13th Annual Transit Safety & Security Roundtable, DHS Transportation Security Administration & Department of Transportation, Denver, CO (June 29, 2011).
- DHS SAFETY Act Affords Airports Liability Protections, Airports Council International – North America, Kansas City, MO (April 4, 2011).
- DHS SAFETY Act Update, National Defense Industrial Association, Arlington, VA (September 28, 2010).
- Working with DHS, Office of Homeland Security & Preparedness, State of New Jersey, New Meadowlands Stadium (September 21, 2010).
- DHS SAFETY Act & Advanced Building Materials, Advanced Materials Council, The National Institute of Building Sciences, Washington, D.C. (July 14, 2010).
- DHS SAFETY Act: Mitigating Risk & Increasing Port Security, Ocean Tech Expo, Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation, Newport, RI (May 25, 2010).
- DHS SAFETY Act: Critical Infrastructure & Key Resources, The Infrastructure Security Partnership, Dallas, TX (April, 2010).
- DHS SAFETY Act & TSA Certified Cargo Screening Program, Massachusetts Export Center, Boston, MA (March 25, 2010).
- DHS SAFETY Act: How to Transition Developing Technologies, World’s Best Technology – Innovation Marketplace, Dallas, TX (March 16, 2010).
- Homeland Security Enterprise, The Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association, Leesburg, VA (February 24, 2010).
- DHS Science & Technology Directorate Day on the Hill, U.S. Congress, Washington, D.C. (February 4, 2010).
- Protecting Your Company & Growing Your Market, Michigan Economic Development Corporation, Detroit, MI (September 2009).
- DHS SAFETY Act and the Electric/Utilities Infrastructure, Edison Electric Institute, Baltimore, MD (June 18, 2009).
- DHS SAFETY Act & Terrorism Insurance Liability Protections, The Risk Management Society Annual 2008 Conference, Orlando, FL (April 19, 2009).
- DHS SAFETY Act & Air Cargo Industry, Air Cargo 2009, Las Vegas, NV (March 10, 2009).